Thursday, March 3, 2011

Spring Coming - Photographs and Early Signs in NYC

Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons, and the first month or so of spring is one of my favorite because I adore spring flowers. We've had a few warm days here in NYC, scattered amongst the cold, and as such I've been starting to take long walks again when I can, and the result is that I've gotten some glimpses that winter isn't forever. (Yes, everyone, it's that time again - a photography post!)

Last Saturday, I had occasion to spend a day at the New York Botanical Gardens. Ostensibly, I was actually working, but that didn't stop me from taking pictures. :) You can see the whole set on Flickr.

I started in the wonderful Conservatory, where of course I expect to see lovely tropical plants in full bloom, and I wasn't disappointed.

There was a powder puff flower...


A bizarre vine called "ceratostema rauhii..."


Some ghostly looking leaves...


A really thorny African cactus called euphorbia didieriodes...


Some Mexican tree ferns that make me wish for a tropical vacation...


One of several bizarre almost plastic-like flowers, this one cavendishia micayensis...


This awesome fuzzy water plant...(can you tell I missed some labels? :) )


...and this. I don't know what it is but I think the shot turned out great. :)


What I didn't expect was to get outside and see, well, any thing worth seeing. But I was in for a surprise. First, I saw these little guys poking up...

...in a spot that I know, from last year, is home to some early-blooming dwarf daffodils.

But I was in for more than just a little green peaking out! There were a few hellebore blooming despite some lingering snow nearby...


...and huge numbers of snowdrops scattered all around!


The witch-hazel was going strong...


...and the magnolia showed promise for the near future.


It wasn't only in the NYBG that I encountered signs of spring, though! I found these little funny guys a couple days later while walking in my neighborhood!


Then yesterday, I walked in Central Park, and I saw some of the other sure signs of spring. There was forsythia...


...but what I really wanted to see were some crocuses. I looked high, I looked low, I looked in sunny spots and shady spots. I went every where I could think of that wasn't too far out of my way where they might be growing, and I saw lots and lots of green sticking out - and even some buds, promise of crocuses within the next few days, but no matter how I searched I couldn't find a bloom in any spot that seemed likely. I'd given up hope, when suddenly, I caught a glimmer of white in a bare patch beneath some trees. I dismissed it as a snowdrop (and I'd already seen enough snowdrops that their magic had worn off) ...when I realized it wasn't the right shape. No, in that unlikely, barren little spot, I found my first two clusters of crocuses for the season. I was so happy that it brought tears to my eyes (I guess I'm really ready for spring. ;) ) I promptly had a 5+ minute photo shoot with the crocuses.


Well, I'm ready for spring. :) Can't wait for the daffodils. I'll leave you all with this, some graffiti I passed during the walk in the park yesterday...

No comments:

Post a Comment