Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday

I've been seeing other people's WIP Wednesday posts for a while and wanting to join in, and this week by the "happy" event that I've had to cancel all my work things because I'm sick, I guess I finally get the chance!

...and yet I find I have surprisingly little to share, probably because I tend to finish things pretty quickly once I start them. And my main WIP I expect to finish today (and post about tomorrow), so why put it here? However, I do have two...

The Ouchless d4
Last week I was lying in bed and waiting for my alarm to go off when I had this vision of a four sided die that was plush and definitely not a caltrop! In short, I had an idea for creating a pyramid.

So, since then, I've attempted this five times (one of which I frogged).

The white and green die is the first attempt using the original idea (of making four triangles and sewing them together). The itty bitty one was the second attempt, in which it dawned on me that I could make it as one piece. The third, frogged, attempt, I tried to make the second attempt much bigger, and in so doing realized that I'd messed up the base. The fourth attempt is the most successful, and I'll attempt to replicate it, probably today (because I made it during a Superbowl party and stupidly didn't take notes - but anyway, it was still not quite right. The fifth attempt is the one with the yarn trailing off, and it was a complete and dismal failure. :) I hope to have this done in the next day or two, and I'll be releasing it as the February Free Pattern of the Month!

The Manager of the Oceans
For those who haven't been with me a while, the Oceans will be my amigurumi baseball team composed of different marine animals. (I'm a huge baseball fan...) So far, I've only completed one player for the Oceans, and you can read about him in this blog post about Santana Squid. However, I've planned out almost all the other players (er, 13 of them, I think) and about two months ago I started making one of them...and have been too busy with other projects and commissions to get back to him! But I'm almost caught up on other stuff, and I really hope I'll be able to get to him this week. I don't want to spoil the surprise by saying what ocean thing he'll be, but I really lucked out with the yarn, as it's absolutely perfect. This will be the team's manager.

My mom had it in her stash, and she happily passed it over to me; but sadly it's out of production, so when I make the second version (I always make two of everything) I'll be using worsted that anyone can get - I've already bought it, along with the yarn to make the third baseman and the short stop. As spring training starts in less than three weeks, I'm really hoping to step up this project. :)


...and that's all my current Work in Progress! (not counting a couple things that have been sitting around for ages - I'm saving those for future WIP Wednesdays when I'm closer to starting them. ;) )

WIP Wednesday is, er, organized by Tami over at Tami's Ami Blog. There are a bunch of others involved, and everything they are doing looks awesome, so I suggest you follow the below link and take a peak at their work, too!

8 comments:

  1. That yarn is lovely and fluffy!
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to WIPW! I hope you're feeling a little better. :)

    What a great idea with the baseball team! I can't wait to see what little ocean critters you make next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you joined the Wednesday fun. I love the plan for the amigurumi baseball team!

    I interpret "work in progress" pretty loosely for my posts -- things I'm working on, just finished, just started, or just thinking about starting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! So far I feel better today than yesterday, and I'm taking tomorrow off too, so here's hoping. :)

    Glad ya'll like my baseball idea! And I think in future weeks, when I don't have as much stacked up, I'll end up following your loose interpretation, Marushka. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the whole baseball team!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better soon.

    Looking forward to seeing your baseball team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! I look forward to seeing the team especially in that yarn. I've never been able to knit with it...I don't have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see the whole team either, lol - but I have no idea how far in to the future that may end up being!

    As to the yarn...I ended up working on that project last night (first time since November!) and making a lot of progress, but that yarn...I think it's even worse than fun fur! My hand still aches this morning! I'm really, really glad that the whole team isn't in that yarn! Almost all will be in regular old worsted weight. :)

    ReplyDelete