Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday - 6/1/2011

Today has been a long, exhausting day of non-stop pushing, so I'm going to keep this brief. I've got a current spinning project on the wheel that I want to finish, but it's not the big deal.

Ya see, it's the first day of the new round of the new tournament of Nerd Wars today! Yeah, I'm pretty excited. One of the components of this game is the opportunity to do a "dissertation" - a project of a large enough scale that you anticipate that it'll take all three months of the competition. Last tournament, I didn't want to commit to one, but I decided that this time, I would. I've been planning it since early May. It started at Maryland Sheep and Wool, where I hunted high and low for a fiber that reminded me of Supernatural. I finally selected this merino blend:

But to add pizzazz, I'm going to card in that shiny Angelina.

Then, I'm also going to continue to spin this red:


And use the blue that I shared last Friday (or possibly a different blue, that's still undecided)...


Once I've got ALL the spinning done, I'm going to make my very first shawl, of my own design, using the very first sketch I've ever done for a project! And here it is...

(if you steal my design, I will hunt you down. Legally, I mean. Just saying.)
This is the Angels and Demons Shawl that I’m going to attempt to make. The motif is thick areas of crochet meant to resemble feathers, and void areas with a web motif that evokes an idea of ensnarement. The two together - to me - represent the contrast between the angels and the demons in the show. The overall dimensions are 5 feet wide along the top and 2 1/2 feet long (down the back), and it’ll be basically a semi-circle. It will be done in crochet, and most of the motif will be done in chains; the rest in sc. The feathers and the webbing will both be done in the black homespun; and then the shafts of the feathers will be done in blue homespun and the lines along the webbing in red, OR I’ll do both in red/blue plied together (haven’t decided yet).

I'm very excited about this project. It's going to be a TON of work, but it's nifty, and inspired by one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite shows:

And all in all? It's going to keep me busy. And this doesn't even count the other projects I'm planning for the new round, and the other stuff I have on my plate!

To see everyone else's awesome work, take a peak at WIP Wednesday over at Tamis Amis and Crochet blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment